Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Now They Lay You Down To Sleep. I Pray The Lord Your Souls To Keep...

I have struggled with accepting the inevitable deaths of so many of the 3 Strikes Mustangs and Burros.
Supposedly protected animals.
Animals that were the recipients of many stated and implied promises. That their times of trouble were over.
And that they were safe.

Regardless of, who did what, that has proven so very untrue...

The Promises have been broken. All of them.
And the animals will pay the ultimate price.
Isn't that the way of it?

The Rule of Man... I take what I want. I disregard the needs of others. And I call it "Progress".
Or necessary.

I imagine these wonderful wild and free spirits exactly that way. Wild and free... With their manes and tails streaming.
At peace in a grove. Satisfying their thirst at a stream. Giving birth under vast and starry skies.
And I wonder how they ever became considered vermin. To be removed and eradicated.

And I tell myself, if there truly is such a thing as, a jealous GOD, a vengeful GOD, I hope he tracks everyone who played a part in the vandalism and destruction of His Living Art.
And visits many a plague upon you.

It started with the land and ways of life of native peoples. And moved on to the buffalo. And there have been many examples since, of mans progress.
And now the wild horses must go.
Because, even though they came to be through a force larger than, the work of any mans hand, man has decreed that they no longer fit.

Let me think on this. The Spaniards came and left. Leaving horses behind. The white man came. And imported through similar disregard for life and freedom, the Black man, woman, and child.
And the Chinese. To serve them. The Irish came due to famine. And then, there was Ellis Island designated for the use of emigres of all nations.

This land belonged to that which was free and wild. The white man determined to tame it. And has historically, without fail, proceeded to kill off, or fence in, whatever did not appeal to them.

I usually do not think in terms of colour. But sometimes, it is necessary. To comprehensively understand the issue at hand.

It seems to me, in reviewing the history, the only thing the white man forgot to pack before immigrating was respect.

I am grateful to my ancestors. For instilling in me to be no mans slave. And sharing an ingrained respect for the land and all of its many gifts.
And the knowledge to not take more than what is necessary to sustain life.

And I weep. Over this latest proof that man has learned nothing from his and her own history.

5 comments:

  1. That's Not Robbie Robertson's "A Good Day to Die." It's Ulali. The song is titled "Mahk Chji," from an album by the same title.ou can listen to it here:

    http://www.zangomusic.com/ulalimahkjchi.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. giantspeckledchihuahua
    Thank you. I will see if playlist offers it.
    This was the only version I could find.
    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I included the Ulali version. I could be wrong but it does sound to me as though they are separate artists.
    It is number 5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are both Ulali, one version is from RR and the Red Road Ensemble: Music for Native Americans, the other from Mahk Jchi.

    RR's "Good Day to Die" is below

    http://www.rhapsody.com/robbie-robertson/music-for-the-native-americans/it-is-a-good-day-to-die/lyrics.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. giantspeckledchihuahua
    Thanks. You are good at this.:)

    ReplyDelete