Wednesday, April 15, 2009

One Other Thing.

I spoke to a rescue recently. They had completely misrepresented the information on a couple of horses that were placed in their care.
I was more than a little, terse.

I got a PR response that was so sugar coated it made my teeth ache. And of course, it was the volunteers fault.
You know, you can say a volunteer has incorrectly placed the information. But, you really need to step up as a Director and say, "I should have checked that".

I learned that from personal experience.

My response was, "PROOF READ". And fix it, "Quick and in a Hurry". And you need to note that it was erroneously published.
Because you do not know who may have already read it.

34 year old semi-retired therapy horse with many good years left in her. WHAT? How do you know?
She was emaciated. She is not rehabbed yet. HOW DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY YEARS SHE HAS LEFT???

I had to laugh when I was asked, "How do I know"? Ummm...I was there. I was there the day she was removed by trailer to the medical facility. And yes, I was there at the medical facility.
And I was the one who recommended sharing the placements.
And I am in contact with the previous owners.

One other thing I would like to address. Not all old horses can be brought back. Which is why, you dot your medical care I(s). And you cross your T(s).
Not all old horses can be made fat and shiney again. Some you have to let go.

I am not saying that this is the case with this particular horse. But no one in the world has any business advertising any 30+ year old horse as having many good years left.
You can certainly HOPE. Just as you certainly cannot KNOW.

And no, despite effusive promises to get right on it? It has not been changed yet.

Shameless and thoughtless whoring for publicity really pisses me off. Be accountible to your public.
Be truthful.
Of course this rescue is different than every other rescue on the planet. They don't just provide food and care. Nuh Uh... They provide love and a warn blanket in the winter too.

Sorry for the rant. But I did give warning. And I like to believe that I am at least somewhat a person of my word.

3 comments:

  1. Why is a 30yo horse offered for adoption publicly? If for some reason it needs to be placed, wouldn't it be better placed through a network of people already known to the rescue.

    Obviously it would at the very least require special care and be a very fragile animal after being emaciated which IMO can really only be provided by an experienced person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not disagree CCH. It is very frustrating how some of these horses are represented.
    There are two horses in this instance and the person who posted them claimed they left a very well respected medical facility crawling with lice on top of everything else. Which also, had no basis in reality.
    It just gets tiresome trying to teach people who operate rescues to stop over dramatizing and exaggerating these horses situations and conditions. There are enough truly horrible stories as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well here is the update. I will be going to see the senior aged compromised incomplete rehab myself.
    And my "mean" emails have been forwarded to some on The Horse Welfare Committee.
    Ohhhh Wow... So?
    The whole high school popularity thing has exactly what place in responsible rescue promotion?
    Yeah, that's what I thought.
    Was I supposed to quiver in apprehension? Of what? Potentially being rejected by more operators who do the same stupid and irresponsible shit? How scary.

    ReplyDelete