Monday, June 8, 2009

The Power of Words. And The Evolution of Language?

Everyone knows that there is power in words. Languages and use of have historically been used,and proven capable of, defining much about the user.

Location. Age. Class. Education. Intelligence. And predisposition. To name a few.

I would dearly love to know one thing at this point. Do those who use profanity to vulgar excess, and pejorative terms, racial and religious slanders, and slang, really believe it gives the impression of a higher intelligence, class, and education?

I am guilty. I can sling trash with the best of them. And I have yet to find myself at a loss for words in a shitfest.
There are so many after all.

And sometimes, swear words seem to fill the gap so nicely. And really make the point.

Why is it so hard to find words of praise or encouragement? Why is that often the last words we seek?

And why is it so hard to apologize? Sincerely.

I have watched this in an area near and dear to my heart. Horses. Everything about horses.
And if you know horses? I am willing to bet you have an above average collection of interesting words.

I have lived 42 years without ever hearing the terms "asshat" or "ass clown". Say them really fast with some sort of accent? Interesting.
Still do not know what they are meant to mean.
Oh, in context, I have a clue. But, no offense, these are dumb words.

Snark is another one. And snarky. Snark is defined as mythical beast in Websters. All other definitions I found are from some urban site.
Which is more about defining the culture of slang.
Snarky is defined as short tempered and irritable. That made me laugh. And question whether a person suffering from these symptoms should be allowed around children and animals.
That is how I perceive this based on the definition.
Another definition is to stun and amuse. As in, making snarky reference to the pink elephant in the room.
Hmmmm...That sounds familiar.
To be very honest it just all seems a desperate bid for attention while seeking some sort of power to me.
Look everyone is using words I made up.

It strikes me that what is funny in a child is NOT funny in an adult. Like when the sweet little cherub says, "shit".
That is stunning and amusing. And after trying to muffle laughter, because we sure don't want to encourage them to continue to use that word. The search for where they learned it from begins.

Sometimes, swear words happen. And sometimes, are funny in that they stun and amuse. I am more okay with hearing a story where someone was working with a rank mare that almost took them out, and they said, "You F$%^ing whore do that again and I will put you on your knees".
Now, translate that to how some men talk to women and ask yourself how you feel about it.

Knuckle dragging Neanderthal. I really hope that combined with, "shit", and few other words, this does not head where it very easily could.
Even if, it is just a thought.

Part of using the language to successfully communicate involves using language that is least likely to be misunderstood and misinterpreted by those who you are communicating to and with.
The deliberate use of amibiguous language can be interpreted many ways with regard to intent.

I feel compelled to point out that dog fighting and horse ownership came to many other ethnically diverse groups by way of another ethnically diverse group.
No real ambiguity in that statement. Pretty clear.

People who abuse and neglect are not healthy to begin with. Reality. When they choose as, or make, animals their victims, it is because the animal can't tell and they OWN it plays a huge part in this. This is a deliberate choice I am referencing.
Wow, we have come a long way haven't we? Society found this a perfectly acceptable means for longer than I care to think.
Legalized slavery required how many years to end? Thousands... And how much suffering and death? Incalculable...

I find myself really only wanting to say, to so many, save yourselves first. Followed by, the urban reference dictionary could be used to describe a language in the making.
I think it should be called bigotry.

Say that slow, with a deep southern accent, and it comes out something like Beeiig OOO taree. Kind of sounds like a child becoming familiar with speech doesn't it. I am not casting aspirations or slurs upon the South or the people of. There have been many willing to fight for the preservation of wrong. It is simply a historical reference for Americans.
As we are all so evolved and all.

Ambiguous? Maybe. Unclear? I don't think so.

How come Simon never says, "Be kind to others"? Or, so many other things that might have the power to engage a repetitious conditioned response to becoming something other than a puppet.
The strings may not be visible. But they are there all the same.

If anyone is still confused? The made up words always show red when you use spellcheck.

I always think of the movie "Mean Girls". And, it is so "Fetch".

1 comment:

  1. Fern,
    You were right. I am not done fighting it. Just with.
    Much better way. And a much better day.

    ReplyDelete