Sunday, May 3, 2009

Hey Baby Take A Walk On The Wild Side...







I have added the under saddle pictures here. And some of my old time lawn mower on the thread directly below this. There is a lot to be said for a good angle in picture taking.

Gato the amazing yellow horse. Who has to date, at least, 4 lives. That is how many times he has escaped the truck.
The first picture was taken I believe in October 2007. He was a little tubby. Grained twice a day. Non- working. He was on the thin side when he came. Not emaciated. Ribby and raised backbone.
The other pictures were taken today.
No, he isn't quite as thick.

We switched the younger stock over to a program recommended by Dr. Harlan Anderson. Solely forage. We feed 90% alfalfa that tests 21% or better.
No grains left in the hind guts.

We did have one of the toughest winters here in Minnesota that we have suffered through in quite some time.
Think -30 as a good day.

Anyway, now it is finally Spring. HA! Almost summer more like. And our last snow was what? 2 weeks ago?

Gato has an interesting history in that he is not what a person would call a get along kind of horse.
I think he licked and chewed for the first time today after a lesson.
He has however changed remarkably from when he came.
I don't know if the pictures reflect it or not but he has his new shoes on. And he goes into the conditioning portion of his training program beginning tomorrow.

Now be careful making snap judgements based on these pictures. I am trying to make a point here.
Tomorrow he will have a haircut. A bath. And I will take something more resembling conformation shots.
And pictures under tack.
I guarantee these pictures from today were taken from angles guaranteed to mislead.

Gato was and is what we term, "An Issue Horse". I believe he was so mishandled at one point he even received a tryout for a rodeo company as a bucking horse.
I spent 20 days poulticing and wrapping a hind leg with 2 huge eggs on it that everyone said would not go away.
Having chute gates slammed on him was my guess. And I do know where he was staying before his last pitstop at the KBs.

There were a couple of times I questioned euthanizing him myself. He was dangerous in his original insanity.
The biggest thing that always made me reconsider? His relationship with Micah.
He could be blowing a full scale fit. This horse used to rear high enough in the air to look like he was doing a backbend.
We never flipped him though. Rough handling was the last thing he needed.
Micah would come running up, and the minute that horse heard or saw him he would stop, blow, get a little soft in the eye, and give him a nuzzle on the forehead.
And a good nudge that very clearly stated, "I like you kid. But get out of the way before you get hurt".
Micah would take hold of the lead, and that horse would drop his head to Micah's elbow and walk off. A few strides off and you would hear this huge sigh.

It took a long time for this horse to settle enough to trust. Let alone, begin to learn.
And when he decided he liked you? OMG!!! Breaking stall gates, to come visit. Taking out 3 strands of high tensile electric fence, to come visit.
The only horse I have ever personally met that will pick up the entire round pen and run with it. I assume because he could.

He has come a very long way. He may rear in play with the herd. But he has not reared being handled since July of 2007. He came June 6 of 2007.
He hasn't felt the need to kick anyone since February of 2008. He had never had his feet done when he came to us as a three year old.

He had 60 days of under saddle training with another individual last year. Tim Hennen of Birch Culee. He was too much for me and I am not ashamed to admit it.
Tim did a fantastic job with him. Brought him along real nice.

Gato clips, bathes, loads, and trailers. The farrier loves him now. And he gets his shoes burned on.
And thanks to Tim he has a very nice start under saddle.

I would never allow this horse to go to an amateur. Or, a juvenile. I do not wish to mislead anyone.
Yes, he has been handled by Micah since Micah was almost 5. But this is one of those strange exceptions.
It does NOT mean I would place Micah in the saddle on Gato with all the protective gear in the world. Yet. I expect this horse to continue to improve. But he is still as green as the grass he is munching in the pictures.

Gato is a safe horse for a experienced horse(wo)man. Most horses are.
He is not safe for a beginner. Except apparently, Micah.

Gato is currently 5. And even though, he has $13,500 in stud fees on his first 3 top lines. Sire, Grandsire, Great Grandsire. He is a Grandson of Frenchmans Guy. And a Great Grandson of Sunfrost. He still ended up in the direct to slaughter pen. Several times.
He has tremendous agility. And appears to have interest in the cows. Great expression!..
And moves with a powerful and effortless drive that takes your breath away. A total air glide ride.
He is quick. But, not what I would consider a barrel prospect.

So, meet Gato. Rescue #2.

On a sidenote; Keith Tongen the KB whose horses were on that double decker that tipped over in Illinois has reached an agreement with the prosecution.
Something to the effect of 2 years probation and a $4,000 fine.
I purchased Gato from him for $325.00 June 4, 2007. And little Joe for $200. And Reyna for $375.00. And Lizzie B for $100.
We no longer purchase from KBs and feedlots. Or sale venues. We determined that based on, our own beliefs, we were not helping horses by contributing to any of those folks staying in business.

5 comments:

  1. I just got done watching a video on the GoLightly blog.
    A dog and his partner dancing.
    Thank God no one was home. I had tears rolling down my face. It reminded me of a good Disney movie or HallMark commercial.
    I think the point is that first comes love and then comes trust.
    Anyone ever gone to a wedding and seen an older couple take the dance floor?
    They only seem to do it when the marriage has hit the good point. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers moves. In a word, "UNITY"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dena,
    He is a good looking boy. You have done a great job with him, at least from what I can see. If you wern't half way across the US from me, I would ask for your help.

    It is amazing how a some-what wild horse can bond with one person, especially a child. That is something special that doesn't happen to everyone. Gato and Micah are both lucky to have that bond, I doubt that they will ever forget eachother.

    Keep it up, your doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashke
    Thank you so much. I probably could have offset a lot of the drama had I elected to post pictures sooner.
    The thing is, I am not in the habit of rewarding bad behaviour.:)
    We are very proud of our equine foster kids your words mean a lot to us...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dena,
    See? I've been telling you for so many years you could write. Now, in addition to the horse blogs, take my advice & write an autobiography, in a comedy/drama format! I'd buy it! Hell, what am I saying, I'd help market the damn thing!! Good pics of Micah/Gato!
    LoveYa,
    Tammie

    ReplyDelete